Different Sections of the Central Library
- Located at the ground floor of the library it is the most important and dynamic section of the library working at the forefront of readers services, particularly issue-return of books and direct assistance about availability of books in the library, personal transactions and fine status of the library members. The issue-return transactions are automated. Barcoded library membership cards, and books plus use of barcode scanners save the time of the readers.
- Though there is no one-point window for reference services, yet reference services are provided from different sections of the library.
- Located on the first floor of the library this section has about 40, 000 bound volumes of journals, current print journals and magazines. In recent years, so far as study resources are concerned, emphasis has shifted from print entities to electronic online databases (e-journals) and e-books, drastically cutting the number of print journals. Always available on the LAN of IIT (ISM) campus based on IP based onsite access both subscribed and E-Shodh Sindhu (ESS) sponsored e-resources can be accessed through the Central Library’s official website.
- Located on the first floor the section handles a series of important activities from receiving requisitions of books from the different departments to releasing the books for shelving– like ordering of books, billing, accessioning, classification, completion of bibliographic data entry on one hand, and generation of barcodes, book cards and spine slips and pasting of the labels on the books on the other. This section encourages and receives book donations out of personal collections.
- It specifies Study Room Books Section located on the first floor of the library. Thousands of text books recommended by the different departments of IIT (ISM) are kept here. These books are meant for use within the section and are not issued out. Obviously SRB Section engages the library users in their studies.
- This section is an adjunct part of the Acquisition Section involved in classification of books, theses and dissertations and cataloguing. Universal Decimal Classification (UDC) is used for classification of documents.
- The Central Library has been developing an institutional digital repository (IDR) on dSpace open source software. The IDR aims to build up a digital collection consisting of the journal articles, conference papers, and theses written by the faculty members, research scholars and students of IIT (ISM).